Earthquakes in TajikistanIn Tajikistan, there are partly large earthquakes with strengths of more than 7.0, which cause damages within a radius of over 100 kilometers. Compared to the size of the country, earthquakes occur with above-average frequency, but rarely with devastating damage.
Since 1950, more than 380 people have been killed by the direct consequences of earthquakes.
› The most severe earthquakes in the world
Back to overview: Tajikistan
Most recent eventsThis list includes the strongest earthquakes recorded in or around Tajikistan by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in the past 14 days. Whether an event is listed here depends largely on its magnitude, but also on its distance from inhabited areas. All data refer to the local time. Due to the current situation, we update this page several times a day. The next update is expected around 22:00 UTC.
- May 28, 10:49 amMagnitude 5.2: 35 km southeast of Jurm, Afghanistan at a depth of 223.84 km.
- May 28, 12:24 amMagnitude 4.3: 21 km northwest of Ashkāsham, Afghanistan at a depth of 179.76 km.
- May 27, 10:24 pmMagnitude 4.2: 83 km west of Murghob at a depth of 127.31 km.
- May 26, 7:34 amMagnitude 4.3: 65 km west-southwest of Murghob at a depth of 10.31 km.
- May 24, 8:18 amMagnitude 4.0: 46 km southwest of Ashkāsham, Afghanistan at a depth of 147.68 km.
- May 22, 10:43 amMagnitude 4.9: Afghanistan-Tajikistan-Pakistan at a depth of 100.33 km.
- May 18, 7:07 pmMagnitude 4.3: 44 km east-southeast of Khorugh at a depth of 137.88 km.
- May 16, 4:07 pmMagnitude 4.1: 23 km north of Khorugh at a depth of ten km.
- May 16, 2:44 amMagnitude 4.1: 99 km west-northwest of Murghob at a depth of 119.63 km.
- May 15, 1:49 pmMagnitude 4.1: 60 km east of Khorugh at a depth of 188.67 km.
Earthquakes in Tajikistan since 1950The strongest earthquake in Tajikistan happened on 12/07/2015 in the Tajikistan region with a magnitude of 7.2 on the Richter scale. The shifting of tectonic plates in a depth of 35 km resulted in 2 deaths.
|07/10/2021||Rasht; Tojikobod||16 km||5.8||5|
|02/12/2021||Haripur; Tajikistan||91 km||5.9||1|
|05/03/2017||Osh, Batken||38 km||6.0||0|
|07/21/2007||Rasht, Asht||13 km||5.2||12|
|08/18/2006||Dushanbe (Stalinabad)||49 km||4.7||0|
|04/12/2002||Do Abi-Nahrin||23 km||5.9||50|
|03/25/1990||Pamir Mountains||18 km||6.3||0|
|01/22/1989||Sharora, Gissar||7 km||5.3||274|
|09/25/1988||Roshtkala, Khorog||14 km||5.0||0|
|10/13/1985||Kaptolyuk, Kayrakkum, Gafurov||51 km||5.9||29|
|10/26/1984||Dzhirgatal, Garm||21 km||6.1||0|
|02/26/1983||Garm, Khazora||49 km||5.2||0|
|07/11/1980||Shurab, Nefteabad||26 km||5.2||0|
These statistics are based on datas from the National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS): Significant Earthquake Database. doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K. Data have been summarized and translated.