Earthquakes in VanuatuIn Vanuatu, there are partly large earthquakes with strengths of more than 7.0, which cause damages within a radius of over 100 kilometers. Due to the special tectonic situation of the country, there are more earthquakes than average.
6 people died since 1950 by direct consequences of earthquakes. There were 20 earthquakes that also caused a subsequent tsunami, which claimed further lives, and cause additional damage.
Other natural hazards in Vanuatu:
› The most severe natural disasters worldwide
Back to overview: Vanuatu
Most recent eventsThis list includes the strongest earthquakes recorded in or around Vanuatu by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in the past 14 days. Whether an event is listed here depends largely on its magnitude, but also on its distance from inhabited areas. All data refer to the local time. This page is updated daily at 11 am UTC.
- Jan. 27, 4:55 amMagnitude 4.9: 173 km north-northwest of Sola at a depth of 194.91 km.
- Jan. 17, 11:06 amMagnitude 4.6: 36 km south-southwest of Port-Vila at a depth of ten km.
- Jan. 16, 6:12 pmMagnitude 4.9: 38 km north-northwest of Port-Olry at a depth of 11.81 km.
- Jan. 15, 11:04 pmMagnitude 5.6: 22 km west-northwest of Port-Olry at a depth of 29.10 km.
- Jan. 15, 4:32 pmMagnitude 5.2: 94 km northeast of Norsup at a depth of 24.61 km.
- Jan. 15, 3:32 pmMagnitude 4.8: 23 km southeast of Port-Vila at a depth of 151.27 km.
- Jan. 15, 9:45 amMagnitude 4.5: 221 km west-northwest of Sola at a depth of ten km.
- Jan. 15, 1:31 amMagnitude 5.0: 56 km west of Port-Olry at a depth of ten km.
Earthquakes in Vanuatu since 1950The strongest earthquake in Vanuatu happened on 12/02/1950 in the Vanuatu Islands region with a magnitude of 7.8 on the Richter scale.
|12/15/2018||Ambrym Island||11 km||5.4||0|
|04/28/2016||Vanuatu Islands||7 km||7.0||0|
|02/19/2015||Vanuatu Islands||21 km||6.4||0|
|04/14/2012||Vanuatu Islands||26 km||6.3||0|
|03/09/2012||Vanuatu Islands||50 km||6.7||0|
|02/02/2012||Vanuatu Islands||40 km||7.0||0|
|08/20/2011||Vanuatu Islands||23 km||7.0||0|
|08/20/2011||Vanuatu Islands||2 km||7.1||0|
|01/09/2011||Vanuatu Islands||44 km||6.5||0|
|12/25/2010||Vanuatu Islands||37 km||7.3||0|
|08/10/2010||Vanuatu Islands||44 km||7.2||0|
|10/07/2009||Vanuatu Islands||14 km||7.6||0|
|04/28/2008||Vanuatu Islands||34 km||6.4||0|
|03/25/2007||Vanuatu Islands||1 km||7.1||0|
|11/27/2002||Mere Lava Island||17 km||5.9||0|
|01/02/2002||Efate, Port Vila||48 km||7.2||0|
|07/27/1990||Espiritu Santo||59 km||6.4||0|
|07/06/1987||Vanuatu Islands||42 km||6.6||0|
|12/21/1985||Vanuatu Islands||22 km||7.6||0|
|11/28/1985||Vanuatu Islands||54 km||7.6||0|
|12/29/1973||Luganville, Lamap||31 km||7.2||0|
|12/28/1973||Espiritu Santo, Luganille||45 km||7.5||0|
|10/27/1971||Espiritu Santo, Port Vila||36 km||7.1||1|
|08/13/1965||Vanuatu Islands||32 km||7.3||0|
|08/11/1965||Vanuatu Islands||45 km||7.6||0|
|07/05/1964||Espiritu Santo Islands||7.5||0|
|07/23/1961||Vanuatu Islands||10 km||7.3||0|
|07/13/1952||Vanuatu Islands||33 km||6.8||0|
|12/02/1950||Vanuatu Islands||49 km||7.8||0|
These statistics are based on datas from the National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS): Significant Earthquake Database. doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K. Data have been summarized and translated.