Earthquakes on the FijisOn the Fijis there are very strong earthquakes with far-reaching consequences. Earthquakes with a magnitude of over 8.0 destroy numerous houses within a radius of several hundred kilometers and are causing great damage and devastation. Due to the special tectonic situation of the country, there are more earthquakes than average.
2 people died since 1950 by direct consequences of earthquakes. 5 earthquakes also caused a subsequent tsunami, which claimed further lifes and damages.
Other natural hazards on the Fijis:
› The most severe natural disasters worldwide
Back to overview: Fiji
Most recent eventsThis list includes the strongest earthquakes recorded in or around the Fijis by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in the past 14 days. Whether an event is listed here depends largely on its magnitude, but also on its distance from inhabited areas. All data refer to the local time. This page is updated daily at 11am UTC.
- Sept. 29, 4:11 amMagnitude 4.3: 202 km east-northeast of Levuka at a depth of 546.83 km.
- Sept. 27, 4:36 amMagnitude 4.4: 213 km east of Levuka at a depth of 522.57 km.
- Sept. 26, 4:32 amMagnitude 4.8: south of the Fiji Islands at a depth of ten km.
- Sept. 26, 1:18 pmMagnitude 4.8: Fiji at a depth of 534.18 km.
- Sept. 24, 7:03 amMagnitude 5.4: Fiji at a depth of 604.71 km.
- Sept. 20, 9:26 pmMagnitude 4.3: 281 km east of Levuka at a depth of 464.65 km.
- Sept. 19, 1:42 amMagnitude 4.6: south of the Fiji Islands at a depth of 512.68 km.
- Sept. 17, 3:17 pmMagnitude 4.4: Fiji at a depth of 587.81 km.
Earthquakes on the Fijis since 1950The strongest earthquake on the Fijis happened on 08/19/2018 in the region Fiji Islands with a magnitude of 8.2 on the Richter scale. The earthquake also triggered a tsunami with further victims and destructions.
|09/06/2018||Fiji Islands||670 km||7.9||0|
|08/19/2018||Fiji Islands||600 km||8.2||0|
|01/03/2017||Fiji Islands||7 km||6.9||0|
|08/19/2002||Fiji Islands||24 km||7.7||0|
|08/19/2002||Fiji Islands||1 km||7.7||0|
|03/09/1994||Fiji Islands||6 km||7.6||0|
|03/03/1990||Fiji Islands||27 km||7.6||0|
|11/16/1979||Fiji Islands||25 km||6.9||0|
|12/16/1975||Fiji Islands||39 km||4.9||0|
|09/14/1953||Fiji Islands||36 km||6.4||2|
These statistics are based on datas from the National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS): Significant Earthquake Database. doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K. Several data have been summarized and translated.