Earthquakes in ArgentinaIn Argentina there are partly large earthquakes with strengths of more than 7.0, which cause damages within a radius of over 100 kilometers. Measured against the size of the country, earthquakes occur very rarely.
81 people died since 1950 by direct consequences of earthquakes.
› The most severe natural disasters worldwide
Back to overview: Argentina
Most recent eventsThis list includes the strongest earthquakes recorded in or around Argentina by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in the past 14 days. Whether an event is listed here depends largely on its magnitude, but also on its distance from inhabited areas. All data refer to the local time. This page is updated daily at 11am UTC.
- May 24, 12:47 amMagnitude 5.2: 56 km north-northwest of Vallenar, Chile at a depth of 46.70 km.
- May 21, 6:56 amMagnitude 4.4: 54 km north-northwest of Valparaíso, Chile at a depth of 24.59 km.
- May 20, 6:07 amMagnitude 5.8: 82 km northwest of Coquimbo, Chile at a depth of 10 km.
- May 17, 4:19 amMagnitude 4.6: 33 km southeast of Coihueco, Chile at a depth of 10 km.
- May 15, 10:00 amMagnitude 4.5: 92 km north-northwest of San Antonio de los Cobres at a depth of 206.66 km.
- May 14, 2:07 amMagnitude 4.3: 108 km west-northwest of Quirihue, Chile at a depth of 10 km.
- May 13, 6:47 amMagnitude 4.3: 77 km west-northwest of San Antonio de los Cobres at a depth of 216.72 km.
- May 11, 9:15 amMagnitude 4.5: 69 km south-southwest of Vinchina at a depth of 131.41 km.
- May 11, 10:01 pmMagnitude 4.6: 39 km southwest of Tinogasta at a depth of 171.73 km.
- May 10, 8:06 pmMagnitude 6.8: 78 km north-northwest of San Antonio de los Cobres at a depth of 193.81 km. Tsunami warning!
Earthquakes in Argentina since 1950The strongest earthquake in Argentina happened on 11/23/1977 in the region San Juan Province (Mendoza) with a magnitude of 7.4 on the Richter scale. The shifting of tectonic plates in a depth of 24 km resulted in 70 deaths.
|01/19/2021||San Juan Province||20 km||6.4||0|
|05/28/2002||Aminga, Anillaco, Agua Blanca, Chuquis||22 km||6.0||0|
|01/26/1985||West Central, Mendoza, La Ligua||57 km||6.9||6|
|11/23/1977||San Juan Province (Mendoza)||24 km||7.4||70|
|07/01/1974||Los Toldos||54 km||5.9||0|
These statistics are based on datas from the National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS): Significant Earthquake Database. doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K. Several data have been summarized and translated.